Last week I felt very sad not to hear our school filled with the sound of your lovely singing. So, instead of our usual singing assemblies, I would like to set you the challenge of learning a completely new song, which we will all be able to sing together when we can all return to school.
The song is called ‘One Moment, One People.’ You can follow the links on our school website, to open the resources which will help you to learn it.
This is what I would like you to do:
1) Open the link and listen to the song a few times until the melody starts to stay in your head and sound familiar.
2) Open the link to the lyrics and read them through while you listen to the song.
3) Click the link to ‘learn with Beccy’. She will teach you by singing little sections for you to copy, just like we do in our singing assemblies.
4) Your final challenge, when you are ready, will be to see if you can open the backing track and sing along to as much of the song as you can remember.
I hope you like the song. I can’t wait until we can sing it all together. See how much you can learn this week, ready for the challenge of adding a few dance moves next next week!
Please keep on singing all of your favourite school songs, as well as practising your recorders and other musical instruments over the next week or so…and let me know how you all get on, via our school facebook/twitter pages. Before you know it, we will be filling the school hall and music studio with lots of music making again!
Lots of love,
Suggested Music activities for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2:
- Explore www.singwithourkids.com There's a large selection of free resources to promote learning through singing. Follow a ink to ‘Crafty Activities’ for a selection of downloadable and printable books, all based on traditional songs or rhymes. There is an MP3 downloadable song to listen to and learn, to go with each one.
- Upcycle your rubbish to create junk percussion instruments – there are lots of ideas online.
- bbc.co.uk/teach/school-radio is also has a fabulous selection of songs to support learning in a range of curriculum subjects
- BBC Bitesize is a superb resource. There are 11 short ‘lessons’ starting with ‘What are Pulse and Rhythm?’ and there are two quizzes so that children can see how much they have remembered.
- Most of our Year 5 and 6 children have already been introduced to the iPad app ‘Garage Band’. This is a good resource for children to explore their composing and arranging skills if you have an Apple device.
- BBC School Radio has a fabulous selection of songs to support learning in a range of curriculum subjects.