STEM Activities - Live Lessons and Family Ideas
Dr Chipps Live Lessons
Barefoot Ambassador and STEM subject leader Dr Chips will be leading live lessons on Science, Engineering and Computing. Tune in at...
Science at Work - Meet Scientists from the Past and Present
Every Tuesday there is a new activity sheet – these can be downloaded or sent straight to your inbox.
You can send in your questions and upload your drawings by 5pm on Thursday the same week.
The following Tuesday and don't forget to download the activity sheet for the next week’s scientist.
Full details are at:
Science Fun at Home
The Primary Science Trust have go some great guides for Science Fun at Home. We'd love to see what you try!
Science Museum at Home
If you want to get hands on and make some interesting discoveries, have a look at these simple and fun investigations you could try at home! We'd love to see what you find out. Please share via our Facebook and Twitter feeds.
If you are a Lego fan, here's 40 challenges you could try. Can anyone do all of them?!
Could you design a home for an animal? Use your STEM skills with this project!
Family STEM Ideas
Here are ideas linked to Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths that you could work on as a family.
- Using Lego or similar products, or junk modeling, what can you design and make? What might you do in the future to improve it?
- Design a gadget in your book that would make your life easier or more efficient, or would improve somebody else's life or job. Include a labelled diagram and explain what it does, and how.
- Take photographs of any cooking or baking they do or write the recipes in their books and draw a picture of it.
- Pick 5 items from your fridge or cupboard. How might you combine them to make a balanced meal to feed your family?
- Analyse different food packaging considering the environment, cost,
- Design a package for a certain food product (especially if they have made something)
- James Dyson Foundation Challenges.pdf
Dippy School Homework Challenges
Here are the Dippy Challenges we sent home last year. There are great activities within each month. There is no expectation to post the outcomes on Social Media.
- West Jes Jan Dippy School Homework.pdf
- Dippy Monthly Challenge September.pdf
- Dippy Monthly Challenge November.pdf
- West Jes March Dippy School Homework.pdf
- West Jesmond June Dippy School Homework.pdf
- West Jes May Dippy School Homework.pdf
Try pancake making....
Great North Museum
Click on the link below for an exciting opportunity to explore some activities from The Great North Museum. There are sections on climate change, a mammal web cam, historical collections, virtual tours and much more.