At the moment we are not together in school but that doesn’t mean we can’t keep learning together! We know that many of your grown ups are working for home, or trying to, and you can do your work at home as well.
We have updated the school webpage with new things for you to try. Some of it might be practising things we have done in school together and some of it might be new to you.
Either way, let’s try and have some fun as we learn. Don’t forget any logins you need should be in your school reading diaries. Any problems then contact school, we are all in a rota so someone will be there!
We miss you all and hope to see you soon.
Miss Byatt, Miss Condliffe, Mrs Robinson, Miss Whitten & Mrs Young,
Mrs Masri & Mrs Hafiz
Each week there will be a picture or a short video and each day there will be a task for you to do based on this stimulus. Enjoy and happy writing…
Every day you have a new reading challenge. What will you be reading today? If you love reading and are looking for some extra books, from this half term onwards we will no longer be using Bugclub to support our reading. Instead we ask that you use Epic using this link:
Click on the ‘students’ access and enter your class code (this will have been emailed to your grown-up). We will keep you informed of any updates moving forward. So long Bugclub, hello Epic! Happy reading Year 1!
Or, why not try Oxford Owls free e-books which is the same levelled reading scheme we use in school
Try reading books from where you left off at school.
You have a new list to practice each week. See what your new words are for this week on
- English Week 1 Activities.zip
- English Week 2 Activities.pdf
- English Week 3 Activities.zip
- English Week 4 Activities.zip
Vocabulary is important as it plays vital role in speaking, listening, reading, comprehension and writing. Readers must use the words they hear orally to make a sense of the words they see in print. Children who hear more spoken words at home and school learn more words, have a better vocabulary and will apply it in their writing. Your child will learn the meaning of most words through everyday experiences:
They engage daily in oral language
They listen to adults read to them
The read on their own
Although a great deal of vocabulary is learned in these ways, some vocabulary needs to be taught. As a school we are continually encouraging the children to explore their ‘word consciousness’. In our lessons we have been teaching new vocabulary on a daily basis using ‘Wizard Words’ based on our English Text.
As we are not using a specific text, why not have a try at these ‘Word of the Day’ activities. You can use the interactive PowerPoint document below or you can use the PDF version and record your answers on a piece of paper or in your exercise book.
Vocabulary can be FUN! – try playing these games with your family:
Why not try some of our fun Vocabulary games below!
- Word of the day Activities Summer Weeks 1-5.ppt
- Word of the day Activities Summer Weeks 1-5.pdf
- A Splash of Synonyms Worksheet.pdf
- Buzzword of the Day.pdf
- Antonym Worksheet.pdf
- Letter Grab Bag Game.pdf
- Movie Poster Worksheet.pdf
- Name 5 Things game.pdf
- Noun Hunt Worksheet.pdf
- Conversation Vocabulary Cards.pdf
- similes poster.pdf
- Spelling Roll a Word Game.pdf
- Antonym (Opposites) Game.pdf
- Spelling Tic-Tac-Toe Game.pdf
- Spin and Review Game.pdf
- Synonym and Antonym Notebooks.pdf
- Vocabulary Flower Worksheet.pdf
- Vocabulary Four Square.pdf
- Vocabulary Word Wheel.pdf
- Word Building Activity sheet.pdf
- Synonym Word Dice Game.pdf
You may also want to try out this website:
for some quick writing challenges.
These writing challenges come with tutorial videos to support creative writing and have been created to make it easy for children who are home learning to create some inspired writing. The first challenge is a book review so come on Year 1 what’s stopping you! Let’s read about what you’ve been reading.
- Science Lesson 1.pdf
- Science Lesson 2.pdf
- Science Lesson 3.pdf
- Science Lesson 4.pdf
- Science Lesson 5.pdf
Our topic this half term is Grace Darling so we have planned lots of lovely, exciting art and creative activities for you to complete. You could record them in a sketch book if you have one or on a piece of paper. If you don't have all the resources at home don't worry, just do the best you can!
Some of our activities are based on Seascapes. Salt can be used on water colours to create this wonderful effect. Watch the video below to find out how! Try to use this technique in one of your art pieces.
Other Creative Ideas
- Summer 1 Week 1 Art.pdf
- Summer Lesson 2 Art.pdf
- Summer Lesson 3 Art.pdf
- Summer Lesson 4 Art.pdf
- Summer Lesson 5 Art.pdf
You can also practice what you have learned by logging onto Mathletics.
So far this year we have taught the children:
- Counting and Representing numbers
- Number bonds to 10 and 20 – with instant recall
- Place value to 50
- Addition and subtraction up to 50
- One more/less than
- Geometry – properties of 2D and 3D shapes
- Comparing different lengths and weight
- Using and applying standard and non-standard measure
During this period of school closure, we would usually be teaching the children about the following:
- Multiplication and division of 2,5 and 10
- Simple fractions (half and quarter)
- Geometry – Position and direction (under, over, beside, in front of, behind, above, below, between, forward, backward, left right, turn)
- Place Value up to 100
- Money – recognise coins, notes and add small amounts to make a total
- Time – o’clock and half past
Other Useful Resources
Below you will also find a number of useful resources to support your child in their maths work.
All activities have been made available for your child to learn and explore. Your child’s login information is in their home school diary.
We have been using this online resource in school regularly in lessons and the children should be confident in accessing maths activities. There is a raft of games and learning screens to support them.
You can now sign up for free on this website. There are a range of interactive and printable activities to complement the Year 1 Maths Curriculum.
- Maths Activities Week 1.zip
- Maths Activities Week 2.pdf
- Maths Activities Week 3.zip
- Maths Activities week 4.zip
- Maths Week 5 Activities Summer WB 18.5.20 .pdf
- Monday Week 5 Worksheet.pdf
- Monday Week 5 Answers.pdf
- Tuesday Week 5 Worksheet.pdf
- Tuesday Week 5 Answers.pdf
- Wednesday Week 5 Worksheet.pdf
- Wednesday Week 5 Answers.pdf
- Thursday Week 5 Worksheet.pdf
- Thursday Week 5 Answers.pdf
- Friday or Extra Week 5 Worksheets.pdf
- Friday Week 5 Alternative Plans.pdf
- Grace Darling Powerpoint.ppt
- Grace Darling Powerpoint PDF version.pdf
- Grace Darling Sequencing Cards.pdf
- Grace Darling Timeline Activity.pdf
- Grace Darling Factfile - Examples.pdf
- Grace Darling Factfile Template.pdf
- Grace Darling Word Mat.pdf
- Grace Darling Writing Paper - fully lined.pdf
- Grace Darling Writing Paper.pdf
Why not join in PE with Joe’ – 30 minute sessions on You Tube with Joe Wicks at 9am
Or maybe play a game in the garden, do a dance in the living room or even do some chores around the house! There’s always Cosmic Kids Yoga if you want to relax.
Or if you are looking for something more active try https://www.gonoodle.com/
General Curriculum Resources
There are a wide range of resources on Twinkl that cover all areas of the National Curriculum. There is also a specific School Closure Pack for Year 1 that can be downloaded and printed.
Other useful websites: